Commonwealth Day is held every year on the second Monday of March. In 2019, it took place on Monday 11 March. Each year a theme is chosen to enhance the celebration of Commonwealth Day by informing events held on the day and throughout the year. The theme chosen for 2019 is ‘A Connected Commonwealth’.
To mark Commonwealth Day, the CSC invited alumni to apply for funding to organise events or engagement activities on or around Commonwealth Day which promoted or address this year’s theme. 19 events took place across the Commonwealth, organised by alumni and local alumni associations. Follow the links below to read more about some of the events and activities.
- Panel discussion: ‘The role of counselling and life skills education in promoting a peaceful, resilient and connected global family’
- Free eye health screening for vulnerable women
- Sports walk and round table discussion: ‘Connectedness in multicultural Commonwealth Cameroon’
- Commonwealth Day road walk and panel discussion: ‘A Connected Commonwealth: Issues and implications for sustainable development
- A Connected Commonwealth symposium: ‘The prospects and opportunities for Nigeria’
- ‘You Can Connect’ – achieving sustainable development through education
- Panel discussion: ‘A Connected Commonwealth: A way forward’
- One-day seminar: ‘Climate change and agricultural sustainability’
- Panel discussion: ‘Harnessing career development and global networking for the future of the Commonwealth and sustainable development’