Student Wellbeing

Whether you are a new or continuing Scholar, there is a range of information and resources below to help you adjust to life in the UK and get the right support during your scholarship.

General Support

Disability Support

Wellbeing Support

Social Support

LGBTQI Support

Emergency Support

General (including Scholars with dependents)

If you are a new Scholar, you can read more about culture shock which is common when you first arrive in a new country. There are some helpful tips if you are finding it difficult to adjust to living and studying in a new environment.

UKCISA provides up to date advice, guidance and information about all aspects of the international student experience, including arranging accommodation, opening bank accounts and accessing healthcare.

UKCISA also provide guidance to scholars wishing to bring their family to the UK under the UK immigration system. To find out who counts as a dependant, check ‘Dependants‘ page on UKICISA.

The NHS website provides information on the National Health System in England. Information in your region of study can be found below:

Try out the student budget calculator which provides an interactive guide to living costs, as well as useful information on managing money in the UK.

Disability Support

The CSC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination, and encourages applications from a diverse range of candidates, irrespective of any disability. Please see the CSC Disability Support Statement for information on how you would be supported by the CSC throughout your journey.

Your university should have support in place for disabled students. You can find details of the disability support service on your university’s website. You will also find some external resources below to help you before and during your period of study in the UK.

The British Council has advice on preparing for arrival to the UK and the questions to ask your chosen university to find out more about the support that is available.

ABLEize is the largest UK disability resource offering handpicked disability, mobility and health related resources and social media pages.

AccessAble has information and detail that you need to work out if a place in the UK is going to be accessible for you.

Disabled Students Helpline offers information and advice to disabled students who are studying in England.

The Lead Helpline offers information and advice to those studying in or wishing to study in Scotland.

Scope is a disability equality charity that provides practical advice and emotional support to people. You can find further information about specific types of conditions such as hearing impairments and visual impairments. You can also find links to organisations that specialise in these areas.

If you have a disability and would like further assistance from the CSC or if you have any questions relating to disability support, you can contact the Senior Welfare and Immigration Officer at

Wellbeing Support

Your university should have welfare or wellbeing services to help you throughout your studies and you can find details of these services on their website. The best point of contact will often be the student advice or support services, or your university’s international office. If you are studying in England or Wales, you can put the name of your university into this online tool designed to help you identify what support services are available.

You will also find some external resources below to help you before and during your period of study in the UK.

UKCISA provides an overview of mental health support in the UK.

NHS produces guidance on accessing mental health services and information on mental health support services available in local areas of England.

NHS list of mental health helplines and support groups that can offer expert advice.

NHS inform has advice on mental wellbeing and information where you can get help if you are living in Scotland.

NHS Wales Direct has information and links to mental health services in the local area.

NI Direct has information and links to mental health organisation in Northern Ireland.

Nightline is a confidential listening, support and practical information service run by students for students. You can find out if your institution is covered by Nightline here.

Student Minds is the UK’s student mental health charity, empowering students and members of the university community to look after their own mental health, support others and create change. They have developed Student Space which includes one-to-one support and you can access phoneweb chattext message or email support depending on which method works best for you.

The Samaritans provide a helpline service to provide confidential emotional support 24 hours a day.

NHS Moodzone provides practical information, interactive tools and videos to help you feel mentally and emotionally better. There is advice relating to depression, anxiety and bereavement.

The Sleep Foundation provide healthy sleep tips which are important for maintaining good physical and mental health

Cruse Bereavement Care provide additional support for those that have suffered a bereavement

Mental Elf provides up to date information on the latest mental health research and guidance

The Wellbeing Thesis is an online resource for postgraduate research students aimed at supporting mental wellbeing. There is something for everyone, no matter what stage of research you are at.

If you are unable to find what you are looking and would like further guidance, you can contact the Senior Welfare and Immigration Officer at

Social Support

Your university will have student societies that you can sign up for. This is a good way of meeting new people at your institution. Students’ unions also run events and activities, so have a look on their website to see what is on offer.

The CSC has developed a wide range of activities to support you to connect and bond with other Scholars in new and exciting ways. Find out how you can get involved in CSC activities with our 2021 Scholarship handy guide.

Student Minds provide some tips on how to make new friends and connect with others including virtually.

LGBTI+ Support

The CSC is committed to LGBT+ equality, diversity and inclusion. If you are struggling with your sexuality or would like to engage more with the LGBT+ community where you’re studying, your university should have support services in place that can offer support and signpost you to local groups and services. You will also find some external resources below to help you before and during your period of study in the UK.

Stonewall provide details of LGBT+ services and community groups in the local area.

Stonewall Scotland provide details of LGBT+ services and community groups in Scotland.

The Student Minds website provides advice and support around coming out and transitioning.

Student Pride is an annual event held in February that celebrates and debates all things LGBT+. It is a national event involving over 1700 students.

If you have any questions or would like any additional guidance or support, you can contact the CSC Senior Welfare and Immigration Officer at

Emergency Support

In the event of an emergency, please refer to the following emergency contact details below:

  • Call 999 for ambulance, fire, police (emergency)
  • Call 101 to speak to police when it’s less urgent than 999 (e.g. mobile phone theft)
  • Call 111 to speak to the NHS when it’s less urgent than 999
  • If you need someone to talk to, visit Samaritans website or call 116 123 for free at any time to talk to someone in confidence.