Location: Online; Pretoria
Welcome home recently returned Commonwealth Scholars from South Africa!
The event aims to support recently returned Scholars in building resourceful networks with Commonwealth Alumni and relevant stakeholders and enhance their ability to translate newly aquired knowledge and skills to achieve sustainable development impact post-Scholarship. The event will also address some of the psychosocial challenges that recently returned Scholars may experience.
The Welcome Home event will support new alumni to :
- Make informed decisions about their professional development and acquire the skills needed to translate newly acquired knowledge and skills to achieve sustainable development impact in South Africa
- Manage reverse cultural shock by navigating through the political, social, environmental, and personal changes they may be experiencing
- Feel connected to the expertise of the wider CSC community in South Africa and across the Commonwealth
- Discover ways to actualise the development impact focus of their studies in South Africa
Commonwealth Alumni attending the event will have the opportunity to:
- Share their expertise and experiences to support returning scholars in gaining appropriate skills and knowledge to achieve development impact in South Africa and wider area of study
- Work with and learn from recently returned alumni as part of their own knowledge and skills development
- Play an important role in developing future leaders and experts
The British Council Country Director will deliver the welcome note which will be followed by a lessons learnt session, during which recently returned Scholars will share their UK experiences. The event facilitator will then lead an interactive session between recently returned Scholars and Commonwealth Alumni.
The second part of the event will cover how new alumni can get involved in the alumni network in South Africa, including the alumni association and other events and activities. The event will also provide the opportunity for alumni to be paired together to support continued engagement and support.
This is an opportunity for recently returned Scholars to make valuable connections with fellow Commonwealth Alumni who could provide guidance and support towards achieving professional and developmental goals.
If you are a recently returned Commonwealth Scholar from South Africa and would like to attend this event, please contact Missey Marowa at Missey.Marowa@Britishcouncil.org.za
This event has been organised by the British Council in South Africa.
12:00-12:05 Introduction and Ice-breaker
12:05-12:15 Welcome Home remarks from FCDO, COSFA-SA, and British Council
12:15- 13:45 Experience sharing
13:45-14:15 Interactive session led by a Facilitator
14:30 -15:00 Actualising development impact
15:30- 15:45 Feedback on capacity building
15:45- 16:00 Vote of thanks and closure
To be confirmed.