Duration: 08:00-17:00 (EAT)
Mental health and psychosocial support workshop on alcohol and drug use among youth and school children in Northern Uganda
In commemoration of this year’s World Mental Health Day theme, ‘Make Mental Health for all a Global Priority’, Commonwealth Alumni in Uganda will deliver a mental health workshop focused on alcohol and drug abuse, which is predominant in Northern Uganda.
The workshop panel will include alumni who are mental health experts at Butabika Mental Hospital, the only mental health referral hospital in Uganda. The workshop will be preceded by a school outreach.
The aims of the workshop are to:
- Raise awareness of mental health issues and encourage open conversations on alcohol and substance abuse in the local community
- Reduce stigma association with mental health illnesses and promote health seeking behaviours and emotional well-being practices
- Prevent suicide through individual education and outreach amongst young people
- Equip young people with knowledge and information to enable them to fight against alcohol and drug use in schools and communities
- Equip community and cultural leaders on providing mental health support for young people
This event is organised by the Uganda Commonwealth Scholars and Fellows Alumni Association (UCSFAA) and is supported by the British Council in Uganda.
08:00-12:00 Mental health training workshop
14:00-16:00 School engagement
16:00-17:00 Visit to a rehabilitation centre
19:00-20:00 Radio talk show on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Services
Gulu District Health Officer
Hospital Director, Gulu Regional Referral Hospital
Representative from World Health Organization (WHO)
Mental health expert, Pacta Rehabilitation Centre Gulu
Cecilia Driciru, mental health expert trainer (2009 Professional Fellow)
William Ukura, mental health expert trainer (2018 Professional Fellow)
Arthur Niwagaba, President, UCSFAA (2012 Scholar)